Blockley ... a potted guide

Places worth visiting...

Mill Dene Garden

Read More

Point to Point Racing

Read More


Blockley is a village rich in history and heritage.  Situated about four miles north-west of Moreton-in-Marsh, Blockley is a fascinating Cotswold village rich in history.

Until 1931 Blockley was an exclave of Worcestershire. Nowadays the civil parish includes the hamlets of Draycott, Paxford and Aston Magna, along with the deserted hamlets of Northwick and Upper Ditchford.

Once owned by the bishops of Worcester, Blockley was one of the first villages in England to produce its own electricity thanks to the power of the Blockley Brook. 

At the height of the silk boom in the 19th Century, there were six silk mills in Blockley and around 600 people were employed in the trade locally. One of the mills can still be seen beyond a pool near the church and the lovely Mill Dene garden has been created around another one. Many of the terraced cottages on the village's northern edge were once occupied by silk weavers.

The Anglican parish church of St Peter and St Paul is utilised as St Mary's Roman Catholic church of the Father Brown television series.

The show, which began airing on BBC One in 2013, stars Mark Williams as the eponymous crime-solving Roman Catholic priest, and Blockley's vicarage is used as Father Brown's residence.

Another of Blockley's claims to fame surrounds a legendary tame trout which lived in a pool in the garden of Fish Cottage, Blockley, in the early part of the 19th Century and would reportedly take food from its owners' hands. 

Blockley was also home to a self-described religious prophetess called Joanna Southcott (1750-1814), who was born in Devon but spent the last 10 years of her life at a secret retreat in Blockley.

After becoming persuaded that she possessed supernatural gifts, she wrote and dictated prophecies in rhyme, gaining a large following. Her followers, referred to as Southcottians, are said to have numbered over 100,000 at one time, but declined greatly by the end of the 19th Century.

A devout Southcottian, Miss Alice Seymour bought Rock Cottage in 1917 and turned it into a centre of the Southcottian Sect. Southcottians came to visit this shrine from all parts of the world until a disastrous fire at Rock Cottage in 1971.

View our business listings for Blockley

 

© Loving The Cotswolds. 2017.