Stonehouse ... a potted guide
Places worth visiting...
Old Badger Inn
Stonehouse, three miles west of Stroud, has grown from a small agricultural community, noted in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having two water mills and an extensive vineyard, to a bustling, yet pleasant, small industrial town.
The cloth industry, which employed most of Stonehouse's inhabitants from the 16th Century, was the main influence on the life and character of the town, and was maintained with the reorganisation and rebuilding of the mills in the early 19th Century. When the cloth industry declined, the buildings and labour were exploited by new industries. Brickmaking began in Stonehouse in the mid-19th Century with as many as 13 brickmaking sites altogether. The largest of these, Stonehouse Brick and Tile Company Ltd, was the last to close in 1968.
Stonehouse's former manor house burned down in 1908 and on the same site stands Stonehouse Court Hotel, a Grade II listed manor house. It is located next to St Cyr's Church and the Stroudwater Canal. Stonehouse is still a centre of industry for the Stroud district, with its thriving businesses, the railway and the soon to be reopened canal network.
One of the most well known establishments in the area is Wycliffe College, which was founded as an all-boys school in 1882 but is now co-educational.
View our business listings for Stonehouse