Kelmscott Manor, near Lechlade
Summary:Built around 1600, Kelmscott Manor was the summer home of William Morris, the artist, writer, textile designer and socialist, during the latter part of the 19th Century. The house contains an outstanding collection of Morris's possessions and works.
This Grade I listed farmhouse on the edge of the village of Kelmscott, near Lechlade, was built around 1600 next to the River Thames.
Built of local limestone, it was the summer home of William Morris, the English artist, writer, textile designer and socialist, from 1871 until 1896. Morris signed a joint lease with the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti in the summer of 1871.
Morris loved the house as a work of true craftsmanship, totally unspoilt and unaltered, and in harmony with the village and the surrounding countryside. Its beautiful gardens, with barns, dovecote, a meadow and stream, provided a constant source of inspiration.
Possibly the most evocative of all the houses associated with Morris, Kelmscott Manor contains an outstanding collection of the possessions and works of Morris, his family and his Arts and Crafts associates, including furniture, original textiles, pictures, carpets, ceramics and metalwork.
William Morris, his wife Jane and children Jenny and May are buried in the grounds of St George's Church, Kelmscott.
Kelmscott Manor is now owned and managed by the Society of Antiquaries of London who over the last 50 years have invested considerable resources to save it from ruin.
Kelmscott has been awarded the Gold Small Visitor Attraction 2014 from Cotswolds Tourism and was one of just five attractions shortlisted by The Guardian newspaper for most inspiring attraction in the Museums & Heritage Awards 2014.
For the first time ever, 2014 also saw an artist in residency appointed at Kelmscott - contemporary stained glass artist Sasha Ward, from Marlborough - to celebrate William Morris’s legacy.
Fundraising is also taking place with the hope of approaching the Heritage Lottery Fund for around £2 million to help with site improvements, including an expanded tearoom.
Kelmscott, Lechlade, Gloucestershire, GL7 3HJ