Forest Green Rovers FC

Based in Nailsworth, Forest Green Rovers are the longest-serving members of the Conference Premier.

The club was founded in 1889 as Forest Green by the local Nonconformist church minister. The club would go on to become founder members of the Mid Gloucestershire League in 1894. 

In 1926 Rovers home ground, the Lawn Ground, was officially enclosed and a decade later the committee members at the club bought the field for £120 at an auction.

In 1968 Forest Green were founder members of the Gloucestershire County League where they remained for seven seasons with an average finishing position of 6th. 

The 1981-82 season saw the club win the Hellenic League championship and the FA Vase under manager Bob Mersell at Wembley, beating Rainworth Miners Welfare 3–0 in the final. The same season the club moved upwards into the Southern League where they finished third in their maiden season in the Midland Division.

In subsequent seasons the club failed to make an impact, and in 1989 the club changed its name to Stroud FC in an attempt to revitalise the football club. This move failed to improve the club's fortunes and the club struggled both on the pitch and with the clubs finances.

Forest Green play at the New Lawn in the hamlet of Forest Green, a short distance away from Nailsworth and 400 yards from the club's former ground, the Lawn Ground, 

For more information visit the club's website at www.forestgreenroversfc.com
© Loving The Cotswolds. 2017.