Cotswolds Trivia - Village Life

Two Cotswold villages which faced each other across a river and with Norman churches just 200 yards apart were united about 80 years ago.
Eastleach was created in 1935 when the separate parishes of Eastleach Turville and Eastleach Martin were combined.
The two former villages, which once belonged to different manors, face each other across the River Leach and are connected by two bridges - a stone road bridge and a stone slab clapper footbridge.
Eastleach Martin is the smaller of the two villages and contains the Church of St Michael & St Martin, which was declared redundant in 1981. St Andrew's Church in Eastleach Turville remains a functioning parish church.

STILL OPEN: St Andrew's Church, Eastleach Turville.REDUNDANT: St Michael and St Martin Church, Eastleach Martin.

Ebrington Manor in the north Cotswold village of Ebrington, near Chipping Campden, has been occupied by the Fortescue family since the middle of the 15th Century. The manor house in May Lane was listed as Grade II by English Heritage in 1960.

 
The bridge to the east of the Oxfordshire village of Little Barrington owes its existence to a bequest by local man Thomas Strong, one of the 17th Century's most famous stonemasons, for a bridge that would be wide enough to allow two men to carry a corpse across it in safety.
 

Years ago, when charter fairs were held in the main street of Bourton-on-the-Water on the first Fridays in May and June, every child in the village was given a penny to spend at them by the Lady of the Manor.


In the early part of the 19th Century, part of the grounds of Kingscote Park, near Tetbury, were laid out as a racecourse, described as "one of the finest in England".
A secluded dell in the park was also reportedly used as a venue for prize fights. The original house at Kingscote Park was demolished in 1951.


A tame trout which lived in a pool in the garden of Fish Cottage, Blockley, gained something of celebrity status during the first half of the 19th Century.
William Keyte and his wife, Maria Keen, lived at the cottage and had a tame trout that would reportedly take food from their hand. 
After the trout was killed by a visitor, it was buried and honoured with an oak memorial board to their pet fish put up in 1855 by their son.
Part of the inscription reads:
Under the soil
The old fish do lie
20 years he lived
And then did die
He was so tame
You understand
He would come and eat out of your hand

 

Members of the Horlick family, famous for creating Horlick's malted milk drink, lived in the Cotswold village of Cranham, near Painswick.
The family occupied several cottages in Cranham and it is said the recipe for malted milk was evolved by the housewives seeking to make a baby food.
The Horlick's family tomb can be found in the churchyard of St James the Great, Cranham.


The opening of Gloucestershire's Scouting Centre at Cranham in 1947.One man is credited with rescuing one of the prettiest of all Cotswold villages from oblivion in 1906.
Sir Philip Sidney Stott (1858-1937), the English architect, civil engineer and surveyor, moved to Stanton Court in the village of Stanton, a few miles from Broadway, in 1913.
Stott, who devoted much of his time to the Conservative Party and the protection of the countryside, put his fortune and skills into restoring Stanton Court and other historic buildings in the village.
Having designed dozens of mills in his native Lancashire and beyond, Stott was created a baronet in the 1920 Birthday Honours.
He became a Justice of the Peace and, in 1925, was appointed High Sheriff of Gloucestershire.
 

Gloucestershire's Scouting Centre at Cranham was opened on June 21, 1947 by Lord Rowallen, the Chief Scout, at a celebration attended by more than 2,000 Cubs, Scouts, Rover Scouts, leaders, and members of the Guide Association.
Since then the centre has developed from a small campsite into an activity centre with indoor accommodation.
© Loving The Cotswolds. 2017.