Dunkirk Mill Centre, near Nailsworth


A massive working water wheel, installed in 1855, that directly powers a rare piece of historic textile machinery, can be seen at the Dunkirk Mill Centre near Nailsworth.

The Dunkirk Mill Centre offers a wonderful opportunity to see a see a massive working water wheel directly powering a rare piece of historic textile machinery.

The overshot wheel, 12ft wide and 13ft in diameter, was installed in the mill in 1855 as part of the last major rebuilding programme carried out during its time as a woollen mill.

It was made and installed by James Ferrabee of Stroud, having a mainly cast iron frame with 40 steel buckets.

The wheel is operated regularly on opening days (subject to water supply) and the sight of the wheel starting to move in a powerful cascade of water is unforgettable.

The centre is open from 2pm to 4pm on some Saturdays, Sundays, Wednesdays and Bank Holidays between April and September (see website for exact dates).

Admission is £3 for adults and £1.50 for students. There is no public parking on the site except for disabled visitors.

More Information


Stroud Road, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, GL5 5HH


01453 766273



© Loving The Cotswolds. 2021.